Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cartoons of FDR

Here's some proof that you can start researching one thing on the Internet, and end up with something completely different.

I was catching up on the Conrad Black trial in Chicago this afternoon. The best analysis is Mark Steyn's daily blog at Maclean's, with Steven Skurka's blog a close second.

It was at that point I started thinking about Black's multi-million dollar purchase of a collection of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's papers at auction. I began searching for arts-related FDR material to post on the blog, and ended up with a most interesting subject.

I found a link to the FDR Cartoon Archive. There are more than 2,400 cartoons on this site between 1932-1943. It is part of the Basil O'Conner collection in the Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum (O'Conner and FDR were law partners).

The site hasn't been updated since 1998, but it's an incredible research tool. I may post a couple of FDR cartoons when I get a chance.

It's amazing what you can find on the Internet, don't you think?

No comments: